Studyphysics Mark Rebate Certificates Forum
Important Women in Physics - Printable Version

+- Studyphysics Mark Rebate Certificates Forum (http://www.studyphysics.ca/mybb)
+-- Forum: Mark Rebate Certificates (http://www.studyphysics.ca/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: October 2018 (http://www.studyphysics.ca/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Important Women in Physics (/showthread.php?tid=283)

Important Women in Physics - Brandon McCabe - 10-05-2018

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45730921

Hello, this article looks at four different women that played an essential role in the world we all love, physics. The four women that are the focal point of this article are Hertha Ayrton,Vera Rubin, Fabiola Gianotti, and Jocelyn Bell Burnell. Together, these women all contributed to the ways we look at physics today. This thread will briefly summarize who the physicist is, and what they did, and why it was important.

To start, Hertha Ayrton was a British physicist who was a trailblazer in her time, becoming a fellow of Britain's royal society despite the fact that women could not be elected into this. Some of her significant scientific achievements was conducting special experiments with electricity using physics while doing so. This would lead to her discovering the electric arc, which was discovered to be an electrical breakdown of gas, an exceptional discovery in her timeframe. Hertha became the very first member of the institution of electrical workers, she was a true role model to women everywhere.

The second female physicist was Vera Rubin, an American astronomer who is known for her discovery of black matter in outer space. She also confirmed that stars that are located at the edge of galaxies moved faster than scientists had previously thought. Because of her hard work, she was elected into the US Academy of Sciences, an honour that is truly fascinating. 

The third female physicist in the featured article is Fabiola Gianotti, an Italian physicist who played an important role in discovering the Higgs. The Higgs is the building block that helps form many organisms in nature. Fabiola today continues to conduct experiments in order for us all to gain more understanding of why our world works the way it does.

The final female physicist is Jocelyn Burnell Bell, an Irish astrophysicist who discovered objects that are called pulsars. Pulsars are neutron stars that emit radiation beams. How did she do this? Through the pulses of radio waves, through a radio telescope. She received a nobel prize for this crucial discovery in science, truly well deserved.

In conclusion, the contributions of women not only in the world of physics, but in our everyday world is extremely important. Without these discoveries these important women made, our understanding of the world and universe today would be very limited. As a society, we must take time to recognize the important works and discoveries of women in our world. Because of these four women, the future of women in physics is a future that is exceptionally bright

RE: Important Women in Physics - Radu Almasanu - 10-07-2018

I think its a great thing to celebrate these woman's that has changed how we look at physics and because of these woman more woman would come into the field of physics which might have different views and expand the knowledge we have about physics and lose the man dominance.

RE: Important Women in Physics - Brandon McCabe - 10-09-2018

(10-07-2018, 09:56 AM)Radu Almasanu Wrote: I think its a great thing to celebrate these woman's that has changed how we look at physics and because of these woman more woman would come into the field of physics which might have different views and expand the knowledge we have about physics and lose the man dominance.
I agree. The more people we celebrate, the more appreciation there is for science. Along with this, we must celebrate both genders equally in order to give full appreciation for those who discover great things. We must ensure that there is equality in science, and in our world as well.

RE: Important Women in Physics - Zachary Tavares - 11-01-2018

(10-07-2018, 09:56 AM)Radu Almasanu Wrote: I think its a great thing to celebrate these woman's that has changed how we look at physics and because of these woman more woman would come into the field of physics which might have different views and expand the knowledge we have about physics and lose the man dominance.

I agree with you. In the past, many things in life, not just physics and science, have traditionally been dominated by men. It is great to see so many women making contributions to the world of physics, and hopefully, this trend will continue, and soon the world of science will be full of women.

RE: Important Women in Physics - Easton Huley - 11-01-2018

I agree with everyone above, we mostly learn of the men that influenced the way we see physics in today's word but there are plenty of women who also contributed to our understanding of physics and I think they go unnoticed due to peoples possible discrimination towards them because of their gender.