Studyphysics Mark Rebate Certificates Forum
Elon Musk Unveils Prototype High-speed LA Transport Tunnel - Printable Version

+- Studyphysics Mark Rebate Certificates Forum (http://www.studyphysics.ca/mybb)
+-- Forum: Mark Rebate Certificates (http://www.studyphysics.ca/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: December (http://www.studyphysics.ca/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Elon Musk Unveils Prototype High-speed LA Transport Tunnel (/showthread.php?tid=321)

Elon Musk Unveils Prototype High-speed LA Transport Tunnel - Blake Cherpin - 12-20-2018

In this article, Elon Musk's plans to create an underground tunnel system  throughout LA is revealed. Mr. Musk wants to use this system to help ease the congested traffic in LA, and cars using this system will travel up to 240 km/h. The vehicles will use a system of lifts to be lowered in the tunnel and will use special deployable track wheels to seamlessly transfer from track to regular roads. This attachment is expected to cost $200- $300, will eventually be able to be fitted to any fully autonomous electric car, and will not affect the vehicles other functions, other than extra weight.  

Elon Musk's "Boring Company" built a test segment of the track under the Hawthorne municipality, where the Boring Company and SpaceX are based out of. Elon stated that his company built the test segment for $10 million, and that regular tunnel building technology would of costed about $1 billion to make.  A member from the BBC team tested the track, only going 80 km/h, and reported that the ride was super bumpy. Elon explained this was because of problems with the paving machine, and the actual ride will be "smooth as glass". 

I think this underground system, if incorporated properly, could have quite a positive impact on the environment. First of all, only electric cars can use the tunnels, so this project encourages consumers to buy all electric cars. This is obviously a positive impact because it could save a lot of gasoline from being burnt, and we all know how bad that is for the environment by now. Also, the tunnels are able to get cars to their destination faster, so it will attract people towards using the tunnels in that way too. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46616902

RE: Elon Musk Unveils Prototype High-speed LA Transport Tunnel - Tamara Taylor - 12-20-2018

I agree with you in that these tunnels will encourage people towards electric cars which is great for the environment, although I think the negative factors ma outweigh the positive. First, I think the cost of building these tunnels will result in cuts in government funded organizations and institution, second I think the physical act of building them could run the risk of uprooting ecosystems underground and displacing those organisms if the tunnels were to go long distanes through untouched land and lastly I think there should be actions taken before jumping to this because not everyone is going to be for the idea of travelling in these tunnels and so I think if small actions leading up to this were being taken the tunnels may be more successful.

RE: Elon Musk Unveils Prototype High-speed LA Transport Tunnel - Matthew Ahmadi - 12-22-2018

(12-20-2018, 04:14 PM)Tamara Taylor Wrote: I agree with you in that these tunnels will encourage people towards electric cars which is great for the environment, although I think the negative factors ma outweigh the positive. First, I think the cost of building these tunnels will result in cuts in government funded organizations and institution, second I think the physical act of building them could run the risk of uprooting ecosystems underground and displacing those organisms if the tunnels were to go long distanes through untouched land and lastly I think there should be actions taken before jumping to this because not everyone is going to be for the idea of travelling in these tunnels and so I think if small actions leading up to this were being taken the tunnels may be more successful.

I also agree with you that it will encourage people towards electric car but, as you said, it can be a negative impact towards ecosystems underground and cuts in government funds. Having electric cars is good but making tunnels underground seem a little unnecessary as there can be a much better way for people to get to there location. You could instead get a train and arrive at an area that is close to your location and then walk to that location. To me the track seems like a cool idea but unnecessary as there are different ways, that don't cost a lot of money, to avoid traffic jams.