Studyphysics Mark Rebate Certificates Forum
How to weigh a whale without a scale! - Printable Version

+- Studyphysics Mark Rebate Certificates Forum (http://www.studyphysics.ca/mybb)
+-- Forum: Mark Rebate Certificates (http://www.studyphysics.ca/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: October 2019 (http://www.studyphysics.ca/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: How to weigh a whale without a scale! (/showthread.php?tid=422)

How to weigh a whale without a scale! - Natisha Ram - 10-02-2019

Until recently, the only way to weigh whales was once they washed up dead on shore. Scientists hav figured out a new way called using drones called aerial photographs. Knowing the body mass of whales helps to determine their energy uses, food requirements, and growth rates. They fly drones over whales that are swimming in clear water and capture the photos as the whales come up to the surface to breathe. Being able to take pictures of these whales help to figure out a lot about whales and what they need to survive. It helps scientists to determine the shape, volume, mass, etc. 

What is your opinion on this new technique allowing for humans to measure the weight of whales, would you say it is an efficient or inefficient technique? 
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49893849

RE: How to weigh a whale without a scale! - LydiaKlok - 10-03-2019

I think that in the future they will definitely find a more efficient better way to do this. But for now I think aerial photographs will work, but the mass found will just be an estimate, therefore it is not efficient in that way. Would you agree?

RE: How to weigh a whale without a scale! - Chidera Ndukwe - 10-03-2019

I mean using the photographic whale size and height doesn’t technically give the mass of the whale.  All there doing is making an approximate calculation of mass of the whale. But I like the idea of the drones, they help discover new things about these sea animals and watch over them

RE: How to weigh a whale without a scale! - Natisha Ram - 10-04-2019

(10-03-2019, 08:50 AM)LydiaKlok Wrote: I think that in the future they will definitely find a more efficient better way to do this. But for now I think aerial photographs will work, but the mass found will just be an estimate, therefore it is not efficient in that way. Would you agree?
Yes I agree with you completely that as of now they don’t really have a better way of achieving this and in the future there will be a better way.

RE: How to weigh a whale without a scale! - Racheal Edoamen - 10-07-2019

(10-02-2019, 02:17 PM)Natisha Ram Wrote: Until recently, the only way to weigh whales was once they washed up dead on shore. Scientists hav figured out a new way called using drones called aerial photographs. Knowing the body mass of whales helps to determine their energy uses, food requirements, and growth rates. They fly drones over whales that are swimming in clear water and capture the photos as the whales come up to the surface to breathe. Being able to take pictures of these whales help to figure out a lot about whales and what they need to survive. It helps scientists to determine the shape, volume, mass, etc. 

What is your opinion on this new technique allowing for humans to measure the weight of whales, would you say it is an efficient or inefficient technique? 
I am most certainly happy about this improvement even though I do not see the method as being overly efficient. Estimates will have to do for now and at least this is a step up from humans destroying the habitats and lives of other species.

RE: How to weigh a whale without a scale! - Chidera Ndukwe - 10-27-2019

(10-07-2019, 06:44 AM)Racheal Edoamen Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 02:17 PM)Natisha Ram Wrote: Until recently, the only way to weigh whales was once they washed up dead on shore. Scientists hav figured out a new way called using drones called aerial photographs. Knowing the body mass of whales helps to determine their energy uses, food requirements, and growth rates. They fly drones over whales that are swimming in clear water and capture the photos as the whales come up to the surface to breathe. Being able to take pictures of these whales help to figure out a lot about whales and what they need to survive. It helps scientists to determine the shape, volume, mass, etc. 

I am most certainly happy about this improvement even though I do not see the method as being overly efficient. Estimates will have to do for now and at least this is a step up from humans destroying the habitats and lives of other species.
How is it a setup to destroy the habitat and lives of species am confused?

RE: How to weigh a whale without a scale! - Idris_A - 10-31-2019

This overall seems pretty efficient but it would really cool if we could use to measure the masses and atomical components of extraterrestrial bodies

RE: How to weigh a whale without a scale! - Justin Robertson - 10-31-2019

If this system is truly accurate, the efficiently and effect is astonishing. We are to map out full whale webs and charts that are location specific. With the data from these drones, the whales can be monitor and study to observe their behavior, the effects of climate change and habitat among many others.

RE: How to weigh a whale without a scale! - Natisha Ram - 10-31-2019

(10-31-2019, 04:16 AM)Idris_A Wrote: This overall seems pretty efficient but it would really cool if we could use to measure the masses and atomical components of extraterrestrial bodies
Yes it would definitely be really cool!

RE: How to weigh a whale without a scale! - Radu Almasanu - 11-01-2019

(10-31-2019, 01:36 PM)Natisha Ram Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 04:16 AM)Idris_A Wrote: This overall seems pretty efficient but it would really cool if we could use to measure the masses and atomical components of extraterrestrial bodies
Yes it would definitely be really cool!
It would be quite useful to have a way to weigh something without using a scale, it will come in handy in the future when humanity explores space.