Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
315 billion tonne iceberg breaks off antarctica
The iceberg is called D28. This iceberg is 210 metres thick and is 315 billion tonnes! That is unbelievably big, and then taking into account how the iceberg D28 is actually fairly small compared to other icebergs, like A68, which is three times the size of D28. Which in my opinion sounds crazy, that the iceberg called D28, which is huge, is actually fairly small compared to others. Icebergs that break off of antarctica are blown by the wind and currents and broken down after years and years. It would not be surprising to me that an iceberg 3 times the size of 315 billion tonnes would take years and years to melt. But if you think about it, it actually sounds scary, that something so cold and so big could melt, and the only thing I could thing would be the problem is global warming. Any disagreements? As the albedo in antarctica is decreasing more and more sunlight and heat is being absorbed and icebergs are melting, and soon there will be nothing left of antarctica. There has also been icebergs as big as 9,000 sq km. But overall after reading this article, icebergs breaking away as essentially called "loose tooth" is a way to maintain equilibrium, equaling what turns into snow upstream, yet again bringing up global warming on my own opinion that this equilibrium may not last as there will be no snow upstream in the future. 
Any disagreements and open opinions on the subject? 
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49885450
I agree that it's mind-blowing to think that there icebergs that are bigger than a Region of England, what amazes me the most is that there are people who deny that we humans have nothing to do with this, yet we were the ones using fossil fuels to make energy and emit pollutants, the evidence is big and bold, the recent Swedish girl trying to raise awareness and others among her are trying to revile what we have done to the environment and move on to try to make it better but the longer it takes to realize this the more the climate will change like this until there will be no Antarctica.
If a giant iceberg breaks off of Antartica then would we have to redraw all the maps? Regardless, the effects of climate change are taking its toll and the Arctic regions will be the first to really feel the hit of climate change.