Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dinosaurs: Restoring Mongolia's fossil heritage
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50131770

Eighty million years ago, during the Cretaceous Period, Mongolia's Gobi Desert was a dinosaur's paradise of vast valleys, freshwater lakes and a humid climate. It is the largest dinosaur fossil reservoir in the world.
Twelve years ago, there were three tourist camps and 13 mining licences granted in Bayanzag, but Mayor Tumurbat says that he has changed this to only one mining licence, which is due to be cancelled, and now 10 tourist camps. This is hoped to boost local palaeontological tourism. The next step for the institute is building a museum at the site and teaching local people to use drones to undo the legacy of fossil poaching.

I really like the initiative that is being taken to try to protect the fossils. With technology and more plans put into place, the locals can monitor fossils at their fossil sites so they can do the protection and document the illegal activity. Educating children about the past so they can have knowledge about their heritage is also a good idea.
This is amazing to collect evidence and provide knowledge regarding the past when no human existed. i agree with you regarding protecting fossils. As I believe that everything in the environment and from the earth should be protected and learned about by scientists. I strongly think that fossils should be protected and also used to study the past and animals. This will help us understand what has happened in the past and what could possibly happen in the future.
The initiative to teach people more about paleontology is quite fascinating. Anytime science and technology is being shared and taught around the world, it is always a benefit. As well, the fact that these important fossils are being preserved and protect is awesome.