Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Barrier Reef: One million tonnes of sludge to be dumped
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47330830

Australia is planning to dump about one million tonnes of sludge in the Great Barrier Reef, despite the GBRMPA having strict laws on dumping waste. Due to a loophole found, it was discovered that the laws do not apply to materials that are generated from port maintenance work. A week before this, flood water from Queensland spread into the reef- which will destroy the coral further. I agree with Larissa Waters, senator for Queensland and co-deputy leader of the Greens Party, when she explains "The last thing the reef needs is more sludge dumped on it, after being slammed by the floods". The Great Barrier Reef is already under stress due to climate change heavily worsening as the years go on. The sludge, sadly, is coating the reef which prevents it from getting a normal amount of algae that gives them their colour and helps them feed. I believe that we must put more care and consideration into our reefs if we want our oceanic species to thrive. If we cannot maintain species levels in the ocean, it will be difficult to maintain ones on land. I hope in the near future countries can keep up their their pledges to protect the Great Barrier Reef.

Messages In This Thread
Great Barrier Reef: One million tonnes of sludge to be dumped - by Nicole Wrishko - 02-26-2019, 06:58 AM