Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will circular runways ever take off?
Henk Hesselin, a researcher scientist's dream is to create circular plane runways. The planes could take off and land at any points of this runway. Up to 3 planes could land on it at once. He says that this type of landing would be a lot more comfortable for the passengers, and it would also be a lot more environment-friendly since the plane wouldn't burn as much fuel as it normally would. 
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-39284294
(03-18-2017, 09:59 AM)Anett Ferenczi Wrote: Henk Hesselin, a researcher scientist's dream is to create circular plane runways. The planes could take off and land at any points of this runway. Up to 3 planes could land on it at once. He says that this type of landing would be a lot more comfortable for the passengers, and it would also be a lot more environment-friendly since the plane wouldn't burn as much fuel as it normally would. 
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-39284294

I find this SO COOL. Not only is he using centrifugal force to help the plane itself slow down but with this possible we might  even be able to make the noise emitted from the planes become quieter? The design that I see from this is really beautiful because it make travel from plane to airport more convenient seeing as this design has the airport in its center. Not only is it beautiful but if it could work I think that this would be an amazing investment into the RCAF because in airports we have been trained to think so linear in terms of coming in and leaving but with this we could make the process of being fighter jets and SAR aircrafts in and out more efficiently making access to the aircraft's easier because the HQ would be in the center and multiple aircrafts could be fixed from the inward and out and take off right afterwards. My only real question is how those inside would exit the airport, especially is they were to be commercial flights because wouldn't that they interrupt the paths of those aircrafts?