Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving Endangered Plants
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41388144

In my opinion, Botanic Gardens are important due to the fact that roughly of 40% of endangered species of plants and currently known plants are protected. According to scientists, it is mentioned that 1/5 of plants are close to extinction. The extinction of plants can lead to environmental degradation, which eventually means in the future if the extinction of plants continues, can create pollution and the extinction of wildlife. Not mentioned in the article, but I believe it is important to save these rare plants, as scientists may not know if there can be a specific use for these plants, such as medication or healing, which it is important to experiment with these plants, before it is too late and these plants will no longer exist.
(09-29-2017, 07:39 AM)Katrina Arar Wrote: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41388144

In my opinion, Botanic Gardens are important due to the fact that roughly of 40% of endangered species of plants and currently known plants are protected. According to scientists, it is mentioned that 1/5 of plants are close to extinction. The extinction of plants can lead to environmental degradation, which eventually means in the future if the extinction of plants continues, can create pollution and the extinction of wildlife. Not mentioned in the article, but I believe it is important to save these rare plants, as scientists may not know if there can be a specific use for these plants, such as medication or healing, which it is important to experiment with these plants, before it is too late and these plants will no longer exist.

I too see the importance of botanical but I have an extra thought to add. I believe that because botanical gardens are such a crutial part in preserving the worlds biodiversity, that we need to work on creating multiple botanical gardens in every country in order to create access to plants and plant based research.  Creating botanical garden in places that are currently facing hardhships such as natural disasters, which may increase the likelihood of the extinction of certain species, is especially important. Therefore, I believe that as a whole, humanity needs to place more importance on botanical gardens and work on increasing the numbers of these gardens everywhere possible.