Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Asteroid Warning Systems
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41583704

This article highlighted the opportunity scientists in NASA have to improve technologies that warn them about incoming asteroids. In my opinion, it comforts me to know that there are people working to develop technologies that enable us to identify asteroids which have the possibility of hitting, or coming close to impacting the earth. By improving these technologies, scientists can create new systems in which are successfully operated within less warning time by changing the velocity of the asteroid years ahead. Even though asteroid 2012 TC4 serves no immediate danger to the world, I believe that it is crucial that scientists within NASA take advantage of this opportunity because perhaps next time, the asteroid may no longer fly past the earth, and instead impact causing harm and injury.  Therefore the developments of these technologies are significant to the long-term survival of the human race and that of preserving the Earth.
I agree with Sarah's perspective on this topic about Nasa testing their asteroid-warning systems. In doing this, we can better our technology and accurately predict ahead of time whether an incoming asteroid could be potentially dangerous. The possibility of an asteroid hitting earth should be seen as soon as possible to ensure that we can deal with it before it becomes "too late". I believe testing their equipment on the asteroid 2012 TC4 will be a great way for Nasa to see what needs to be improved in their technology to make sure the earth and the people living on it remain safe. Without testing such systems, we are risking the chance of our world being destroyed. The ability to go up to smaller asteroids and move it or change it's velocity ahead of time before it strikes earth would be beneficial for the survival of our planet. Nasa continuing to test and improve their equipment is essential in order to be able to deal with events that may be quite dangerous in the future.
Scientists have always appreciated knowing when an asteroid will make a close approach to and safely pass the Earth because they can make preparations to collect data to characterize and learn as much as possible about it. Scientists have always appreciated knowing when an asteroid will make a close approach to and safely pass the Earth because they can make preparations to collect data to characterize and learn as much as possible about it. NASA will coordinate with observatories around the world to try and get an exact trajectory for the asteroid in the days leading up to the flyby. This experiment will test how well NASA can determine the orbit of a newly detected asteroid that might pose a danger to us. If the agency can successfully track an asteroid of this size, it would then be possible to determine where it is likely to impact the planet. Then they would decide when to intercept it.
I believe that having technology to detect asteroids or any type of debris heading towards earth is important due to the fact that if it ever causes a threat, no matter how large, that we eventually would be able to prevent it. Agreeing with Sarah, knowing that there is technology that detects future asteroids gives us the comfort and safety that we need. To improve the system of detecting asteroids, as mentioned in the article, it is very beneficial to detect smaller asteroids since they can also pose a threat, no matter the size of the asteroid. It is important to NASA to be able to detect all asteroids and very beneficial due o the fact that it can give them enough warning time to be able to prevent anything bad from happening.