Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
More acidic oceans 'will affect all sea life'
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41653511

As the carbon dioxide usage in everyday life sky rockets (due to the population increasing distractedly as well), the oceans will exhibit an increase in acidic levels (or pH levels) says this one article. When these levels increase, researchers predict that the mature cod population will also decrease- resulting in a 12th of the baby cod population reaching maturity. The BIOACID project (an organization that researches closely on such trends) has aimed to highlight these problems and discuss them in a meeting taking place in Bonn this year. Although there are negative affects of CO2 levels are quite shocking, there are some positive affects as some organisms do learn to adapt or are comfortable with living in such conditions. This isn’t to say that we should take such things lightly as the average pH levels have dropped from a 8.2-8.1 (which represents an increase acidity percentage of 26%). As for myself, I already did state most of my opinion in the article summary… and my interests are in environmental sciences… I do believe that such CO2 risings are a horrible thing (especially on the diversity of species). With the lakes Co2 levels growing at such rates- we will begin to see the aquatic food chain shrinking which would cause the overall food chain to shrink as well, resulting in more famine and poverty around the world as some islands (especially Japan) rely on fish as their everyday source of food. As we loose certain species, we begin to experience a fluctuation of other species. This all ties in together with the concept that we should view our environmental issues as a MANDATORY priority to help solve. Some countries and provinces are taking a stand, for example: Alberta is taking the podium and releasing a new carbon tax and goal to drop fossil fuel production by 20% and switch to renewable energy sources instead by 2020. These little steps will help make a huge difference with this issue, which we all hope that CO2 emissions will decrease within the next few years as countries begin to switch to renewable energy sources- so that we, and our future generations don’t experience a shortage of food supply, water supply or major health problems.
I greatly agree with all of your points in regards to this article. Increased acidity of our waters should not be taken lightly. The increase of our pH levels not only will harm many species who cannot adapt to such acidity, but it can also increase the chance of acid rain, further destroying our surroundings. Our oceans are a primary source of food and survival for many areas, especially (as stated by Nicole) by those living near water. If essential species, such as sharks, within our oceans begin to die off quicker and quicker due to the influence of an increased pH level, we will be in grave danger. Our survival depends highly on species such as sharks; they greatly help maintain, for example, the food cycle within the waters. We must be more careful with what we pollute and where because all we are doing is destroying our chances at a clean future that many more generations can live in. The dramatic decrease in cod is scary. Species who depend on cod and only eat such species will, in turn, die out due to not being able to find their source of food anywhere. This will cause a chain reaction of species extinction which, eventually, could lead to our human species. Though some can adapt to these changes in pH levels, it does not mean we should assume all species will eventually, too. I believe that we have to take action in reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and our pollution of our waters before such tragedies occur. The massive change in the food chain within the oceans could potentially harm us, in turn. Turning towards renewable sources of energy and using things such as the carbon tax (as mentioned by Nicole) are great steps into the right direction of helping protect our planet. Moreover, massive polluters, such as China, are also starting to step in to attempt to reduce their use of fossil fuels that harm our waters and air. I believe it is important for our countries to continue gathering together to talk about an issue such as this in order to better how we live.
Ocean acidification is a significant and harmful consequence of excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere that we don't see or feel because its effects are happening underwater. Carbon dioxide doesn't stay in the air, but instead it dissolves in the ocean. Scientists thought that this might be a good thing because it leaves less carbon dioxide in the air to warm the planet. But in the past decade, they’ve realized that this slowed warming has come at the cost of changing the ocean’s chemistry. When carbon dioxide dissolves in seawater, the water becomes more acidic and the ocean’s pH drops. Marine species are being negatively affected by decreasing ocean pH levels.