Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giant Dinosaurs crossing continents? #BioIsARealScience
At first reading this article I thought that the animals that had migrated migrated as fossils due to global warming, but what I found was more interesting. These giant creatures that once roamed the Earth so freely were actually able to move continents. I found this especially interesting because these creatures roamed what once was Pangea and through their positionings found around the different continents we now are able to see how the climate around the dinosaur ages affected both the dinosaurs in terms of how they evolved and also how the new positionings of the continents affected their lives. With information including climate we were able to see that a dinosaur like the Sauropod was able to travel across huge landmasses closer to polar latitudes because of the increased global average tempuratures.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37705462
Dinosaurs were really fascinating creatures. They have been extinct for over 65 million years and because of that it interests me as to how scientist were able to conclude that the giant creatures were able to cross continents. The continents were formed due to climate change and looking back 100 million years ago, continents were positioned differently compared to our current globe. The evolution of dinosaurs had never crossed my mind but because evolution is a theory, this was never able to be proved.
A really interesting point to consider with the widespread existence of the dinosaurs is the fact that Pangea started to split apart 175 million years ago, but moved extremely slowly.  That way, even though the land masses were completely separate continents, when the dinosaurs went extinct, they were still close enough or the cause of the extinction was drastic enough that wiped out dinosaurs everywhere.
(10-27-2016, 12:54 PM)Brynn Merkosky Wrote: A really interesting point to consider with the widespread existence of the dinosaurs is the fact that Pangea started to split apart 175 million years ago, but moved extremely slowly.  That way, even though the land masses were completely separate continents, when the dinosaurs went extinct, they were still close enough or the cause of the extinction was drastic enough that wiped out dinosaurs everywhere.

I find it especially interesting that even with the slow splitting of Pangea that dinosaurs were able to travel through the splitting masses with no fear of abandoning their own family because although slow I don't particularly know how far certain masses were and how "slow" they would move relative to us because a majority of these migrating dinosaurs were rather large so their frame or reference with regards to size would be very different than our own, making travelling through the ever changing Pangea a lot easier for their larger bodies. I also find myself wondering what it would be like the travel through Pangea when it was one large mass, because although continents are found to be moving even today, we are so far apart from other continents that a large amount of distance from other continents is all we've known. With the close proximity of Pangea what would travel be like?