Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A science news preview of 2018
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41972290

This article discusses what there is to look forward to for 2018 in the world of science and the environment. Chandrayaan 2 is India's follow-up to their lunar mission that launched in 2008. It will compromise an orbiter, lander, and rover. India is starting off the year with a continuation of space exploration that can help us on Earth gain vital knowledge. In addition, Nasa will launch its Insight spacecraft to Mars to probe under the surface to discover how the planet was formed. Our search to live on Mars continues to be further looked into as Nasa sends off these spacecrafts to the planet to learn more about its environment and formation. As well, the Hayabusa 2 spacecraft will reach its destination this year of an asteroid where it will attempt to gather and return samples of this space rock to Earth. Though we have seen failures in the past for missions such as these, engineers are continuing to improve our spacecrafts to ensure better and more successful travel. Many other spacecrafts, such as Osiris-Rex, is also expected to collect samples from these space rocks this year. Lastly, there is a chance that Europe and Japan could team up to explore Mercury's magnetic field. There is hope to discover why Mercury seems to consist of a large iron core and a thin shell of silicate rocks on the outside. Along with these missions, the space race will continue as more powerful rockets with be built and the UK will continue to step up their on-land speed record with the car Bloodhound. All of these stories are something to look forward to for the new year. I am excited to see what else is to come along with these stories. It is thrilling to see how our advancements in space travel have lead us to better develop technology and understand the universe around us. 2018 is going to be a great year for science!
Within reading this article, many things struck me as interesting and exciting. First of all, it is truly exciting to see a nation such as India taking steps towards science research and improving their space ventures through Chandrayaan 2. Considering India is not as industrialized as other nations, such as the United States of America, in which they are following within space exploration, it displays how far the world has come when we examine the emphasis on science and numerous studies within different countries that were previously considered to be third world by many. Also, it is interesting to see that Europe and possibly Japan may be taking steps to deepen and extend our knowledge of Mercury. Previously, there has been more emphasis placed upon understanding our neighbour, Mars, as its conditions and atmosphere are close to that of the earth. However, it is exciting to explore deeper within our planetary system and not look to those that closely display similarities to our world, yet, look at the planets whose atmospheres are nothing like that of our own. Continuing, 2018 may see the rise in private space explorations. Elon Musk, known mostly for his company Tesla, also has a private launch company, SpaceX. With more developments within the private company, the possibility of space travel for normal civilians may not be too far away. SpaceX and its powerful rocket, the Falcon Heavy, is capable to shoot astronauts beyond Earth's orbit. Within a new year comes new exciting developments; each significant in its own field and each holding significant potential within the way the world sees the future.
While reading the article, I found myself more intrigued by the world of astronomy and into the universe as a whole. As the year unravels before us, exciting new missions and conquests are now underway! What the Japanese are doing seems so interesting to me; since most countries are now looking to populate Mars within the next couple of years, Nasa having some interviews with people willing enough to go to the planet, I think it is very necessary to know and understand the planet before launching people to live there for however long they can! So this is very exciting. If Europe and Japan go on with the mission of exploring Mercury, it would be quite exciting! We never really thought of exploring other planets than Mars so knowing how the planet that is the closest to the sun is structured and such could hep open up new ideas as well as new understandings of our universe!