Poll: Do we have the right to turn Mars into Earth v.2
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, why?
71.43%
5 71.43%
No, why?
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rocket Man
Star 
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42992143

At this point I believe everyone knows of Elon Musk besides Patrick Star (since he lives under a rock). Growing up loving Star Wars and Star Trek I love the idea of exploring the unknown majesty of space and it is difficult not to idolize him. I do however have a problem with one of his ideas. He claims to be a humanitarian being the owner of Tesla but he plans to teraform another planet. If humans can't take care of one planet what right do we have to ruin another? And after mars, the planet he plans to teraform, how many more will there be?
I agree that humans lack of responsibility has nearly ruined this planet. But with that said there are theories out there stating that Mars at one point was actually just like earth with abundant forests and massive oceans but through similar events taking place on mars the environment has already been destroyed and Tesla's idea to terraform may even rejuvenate the once "earth like" mars. Saying that, if this theory is true which could be proven by experiments conducted when humans potentially arrive at mars, this could also advance the knowledge scientists have about extra terrestrial life on mars or any life that was there in the past. It would be very fascinating to see sites at Mars dug up to try to find traces of this once beautiful planet before it was destroyed and left as this barren red rock planet.
I also agree that we should questions our right to terraform a planet, after all that we’ve done to this one. But when you think about the exploitation of the resources we currently have on our planet, by the first world country’s and rich corporations. What would say the exact same would not happen on another planet.
I believe that although humans have caused a dramatic decline in the health of our planet, that should not stop us from exploring and expanding our knowledge of other planets. However, I think it is important that we do not see the possible habitation of mars as an opportunity to repeat the same mistakes made here on earth. Reaching mars would be an incredible achievement, and may be a stepping stone towards exploring more of our greatly mystified universe.
In the few hundreds of years since industrialization, humans have drastically damaged the earth more than any other species on the planet. Of course, if we inhabit mars, it would be ideal to limit the amount of damage done to the planet. However,  it is impossible to be so sure that what we did to earth, we won't do to mars. Although we are aware of the deteriorating health of our planet, very few are working to fix this. Unless we become more genuinely serious about the worsening health of our planet, I do not believe that humans have the right to terraform mars and ruin another planet.
I'm of a different opinion. I believe that it would be beneficial to use the resources on mars and to terraform the planet because it could save Earth from much more trouble. As you have all stated, our use of resources on Earth has had some very detrimental consequences on the environment. If we could essentially outsource that resource abuse to another planet it could help us to preserve our world. If we lose Earth, humans are done for. Earth is just too valuable, but we can always find another planet like mars.

Of course, there will have to be restrictions on mars in terms of consumption, just as on Earth. Companies will not be able to take whatever they want whenever: we still have to promote sustainable development. I also agree with Armann, who says that the colonization of mars could even rejuvenate the planet's natural environment. All in all, here's what I say: it's there, nobody else is going to do anything with it, so why not use the planet to further human development? If we leave it alone nothing will ever come of it.
This question is very generic and I can see different interpretations of it. 

If the correct interpretation is "should we humans have the right to exploit Mars' resources just as we have done on Earth?" then I would agree that we do have the right. It is right to say that we have drastically damaged the Earth with our excessive use of burning fossil fuels and releasing greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane into the atmosphere. However there is more to explain on the issue rather than exclaiming that we should refrain from doing the same to Mars' environment. That being said, Mars does not have a suitable environment capable of hosting life (For all we know, it could have in the past, but it's ability to do that has faded since then) therefore I do not expect there to be environmental and social obstacles while we extract resources from the red planet. That isn't to say that there won't be any territorial conflicts. On the contrary, countries will have many territorial disputes over who gets to own what mine or location or landmark, when we arrive to that situation.

If the other interpretation is correct, that being "should we terraform Mars into a suitable living condition like Earth?" I would also have to agree. Again, what's the harm in manipulating an extraterrestrial planet if it doesn't contain any life forms? It would most likely serve as valuable experience to us humans to transform Mars' desolate and extinct landscape into more or less a luscious territory like Earth because we get to practice our terraforming techniques so that we can polish our world a bit or even better, apply our knowledge on this matter to other planets so that we can set up permanent residence on a distant world.
I agree that, throughout the history of mankind, we have greatly contributed to the deteriorating state of our planet. However, this has also led to new inventions and innovations, like the industrial revolution in the 1700-1800's. Yes, it heavily contributed to the increase in pollution in the air but it also paved the way for our modern technology. Since then we have made great strides in our technology to lessen the negative impact that we have on our environment. Colonizing and Terraforming Mars does not sound like a bad idea. It can serve as a huge step in the history of the human race. By inhabiting Mars it proves that we have made great strides in our technology and it also contributes greatly to the advancement of science. By stepping foot on a new planet we can confirm whether or not it is possible for lives to exist on other planets. I believe that, if successful, it can be a new start for the human race where we can advance in a new planet preventing the same mistakes that we did/doing right now on Earth.