Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Earthquake Warnings
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43432625

"The physics of earthquakes is one of the reasons why a single, universal warning system hasn't been rolled out across all quake prone countries."

In this article, it talks about technology that is used to observe and give out warnings for earthquakes, but more specifically, minor earthquakes. There is all types of technology that can be used to send out warnings for these minor earthquakes or simply when the ground shakes so little that one wouldn't even be able to feel it. This technology is very helpful for preparing for these earthquakes not only mentally, but making sure that people are able to get to shelter in order to be safe and secure if the warnings to end up to be something more than just a minor shake in the ground. Although I think this is a step up to making sure that precautions are taken, most people think that minor warnings are just not enough, or are not the helpful when it comes to the bigger earthquakes. Which is completely understandable. Like the quote above, warnings may take even longer to be sent out because of the different algorithms from different countries. It's unfortunate that it is hard to determine if there is a bigger, more devastating earthquake that we could give warnings for since I know the tragedy of them. There was a big earthquake in Taiwan not too long ago, and my friend who lives there told me about all the things he saw. It was sad to hear. I truly hope less people will suffer from these natural disasters by the improvement of research and technology related to detecting earthquakes.
I wonder if there are any kind of anti-earthquake, for lack of a better word, things that are or can be built into buildings to prevent damage from earthquakes. I know that particularly tall buildings like skyscrapers have dampers on them to lessen the effects of wind on buildings. The Taipei 101 skyscraper has one of these pendulum-esk dampers and it kept the building from falling during a typhoon ( https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.business...nds-2015-8 ). I wonder if something similar to that can be implemented to counteract earthquakes and minimize disaster in earthquake ridden countries.
(03-26-2018, 03:31 AM)Massimo Spatafora Wrote: I wonder if there are any kind of anti-earthquake, for lack of a better word, things that are or can be built into buildings to prevent damage from earthquakes. I know that particularly tall buildings like skyscrapers have dampers on them to lessen the effects of wind on buildings. The Taipei 101 skyscraper has one of these pendulum-esk dampers and it kept the building from falling during a typhoon ( https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.business...nds-2015-8 ). I wonder if something similar to that can be implemented to counteract earthquakes and minimize disaster in earthquake ridden countries.
I think one of the biggest problems with the damage from Earthquakes comes from the fact that most countries that get a lot of earthquakes are not developed enough to use those technologies. A 7.0 on the Richter Scale will do much more damage in a country like Haiti than it will in Japan, because Haiti has no protocol or regulations to ensure safety in the case of an earthquake. I'm sure the technology exists, it is just too expensive for most third-world countries - those affected the most by earthquakes - to implement in their construction.