Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inequality from outer space
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-44193144

Measuring inequality from the amount of light in a country seems questionable. However, it may be a good way to approximate inequality by seeing the amount of economic activity going on. The US Air Force Defence Meteorological Program got these images from the satellite circling around the earth around 14 times a day. The satellite records lights from earth with sensors. Using the data from the satellite over India,  they found that there is income divergence in India. The soft lights also show that the states are becoming more unequal between and within them. The average person in the three richest states are three times more rich than the average person in the three poorest states. 90% of the districts aren't even a fifth as bright as Mumbai and Bangalore, and this has kept worsening each year. I think this is a shock to me. Not only the statistics, but the main topic of the article: measuring the amount of inequality and economic issues just by taking a look at how much light is emitted from India. It reminds me that this is the same for North Korea, but worse. They have basically no light aside from the city of Pyeongyang, and we all know that North Korea is not a country that has equality of any sort anywhere. Considering this, it is said that inequality in India as reached its highest in 92 years, and this just part of the evidence. Hopefully, it will be sorted in the near future, as well as the other parts of the world suffering from inequality.