Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death of ancient trees
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44418849

These enormous, beautiful Baobab trees that are expected to live hundreds-thousands of years are beginning to die one by one. Most of the largest and oldest have died over the past 12 years. The trees that have died and/or dying are found in Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Botswana and Zambia. All of the trees there are more than a thousand years old. The fact that these beautiful trees are ancient, living for that long only for them to die for an unknown cause is saddening. Scientists suspect that it could be because of temperature, climate change or drought. What I don't understand is why no one is really doing anything to help these trees. In the article, it states "The researchers have been visiting ancient trees across southern Africa since 2005, using radio carbon dating to investigate their structure and age." So, why isn't the researchers who have been coming to study the trees for years helping the trees? They could bring water to them, which would help the suspected "drought" cause. Not only that, they could bring water to everyone in Africa. It's boiling hot and water is scarce. I don't understand how some people can come to places just for their own research or personal pleasure, without doing anything in return. Even a one or a few bottles of water from all the scientists could maybe help the tree. The Baobabs need plenty of water to live. So it does make sense if they're dying because of lack of water or climate change. It just shocks me that nothing seems to be done about, aside from more research. They should not only find out the cause of their death but try preventing it while doing so, not just after.