Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
First Exomoon Found (Maybe)
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45707309

Hello, this article entails the possible discovery of the first known moon outside our solar system, called the exomoon. This exomoon was discovered by astronomers using NASA´s Kepler. It is reported that this moon has a mass that is similar to Jupiter, but with a size close to Neptune´s. Although this discovery has come about, scientists and astronomers are still very far away from being in a position to confirm this. More research needs to be conducted.

There has been a hunt for exoplanets for many years now, but the hunt for exomoons is also something that exists. Current techniques that are used to detect exomoons are still improving, that is why there is a sense of uncertainty about these objects in space. While researchers were monitoring a planet that's called 1625b, they discovered the exomoon as it passed the front of the parent star near where they had been researching. It would however take a very long time for humans to reach the exomoon as it is approximately 8000 light years away from earth. The researchers were able to gather evidence on the basis that there was shadows in the star and that there was also gravitational pull on the planet. This is therefore leading astronomers to this belief.

With growing curiosity in our world about space, discoveries like these are important. It contributes to not only our knowledge in physics, but also the world. If we know more about our world, we can expand it to what we know outside our world, which leads to many other things along the way.
maybe there is a solar system that is the same with ours, and we found it by looking for planets to know what's around us, exomoon might help us find a life that had evolved for that specific planet environment, well only time will tell I guess.
(10-07-2018, 10:03 AM)Radu Almasanu Wrote: maybe there is a solar system that is the same with ours, and we found it by looking for planets to know what's around us, exomoon might help us find a life that had evolved for that specific planet environment, well only time will tell I guess.

I do not think it will be very long. Our technology our scientists have developed are state of the art, discoveries come every day. It would not surprise me if within 10-15 years that we find not only other planets, but also life outside earth as well. For science, it is a great time to be alive to witness the incredible discoveries humans make.
(10-09-2018, 02:03 PM)Brandon McCabe Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 10:03 AM)Radu Almasanu Wrote: maybe there is a solar system that is the same with ours, and we found it by looking for planets to know what's around us, exomoon might help us find a life that had evolved for that specific planet environment, well only time will tell I guess.

I do not think it will be very long. Our technology our scientists have developed are state of the art, discoveries come every day. It would not surprise me if within 10-15 years that we find not only other planets, but also life outside earth as well. For science, it is a great time to be alive to witness the incredible discoveries humans make.

Although I agree with you in terms of the technology scientists have developed are state of the art, I do not agree with you in saying that in 10-15 years we will find other planets and life outside of Earth. The technology that we have now is remarkable, but I'm not sure it is developed enough to make such catastrophic discoveries within our life time. In order to find other planets and life, scientists need an in depth idea and understanding of everything that happens in space and I do not believe that our knowledge and technology is at that point yet. The discovery of other planets outside of our solar system could possibly maybe be discovered in our lifetime, however the discovery of other life forms, in my opinion, will not occur in our lifetime.
(10-17-2018, 06:07 AM)Tamara Taylor Wrote:

Although I agree with you in terms of the technology scientists have developed are state of the art, I do not agree with you in saying that in 10-15 years we will find other planets and life outside of Earth. The technology that we have now is remarkable, but I'm not sure it is developed enough to make such catastrophic discoveries within our life time. In order to find other planets and life, scientists need an in depth idea and understanding of everything that happens in space and I do not believe that our knowledge and technology is at that point yet. The discovery of other planets outside of our solar system could possibly maybe be discovered in our lifetime, however the discovery of other life forms, in my opinion, will not occur in our lifetime.
 I also agree, 10-15 years seems too close for us to discover life beyond earth. For that to happen, I feel like we would need to expand our search and have even better equipment. Also, the universe is so vast (obviously), that it may just be really difficult to find life because of how many exoplanets there are (over 2000 confirmed). Some exoplanets we have already discovered may have life already, but life on that planet may be at the microscopic level, so we are not able to pick it up from this far away.
(10-22-2018, 12:56 PM)Blake Cherpin Wrote:

I also agree, 10-15 years seems too close for us to discover life beyond earth. For that to happen, I feel like we would need to expand our search and have even better equipment. Also, the universe is so vast (obviously), that it may just be really difficult to find life because of how many exoplanets there are (over 2000 confirmed). Some exoplanets we have already discovered may have life already, but life on that planet may be at the microscopic level, so we are not able to pick it up from this far away.

I think it's hard to give an accurate judgement for the amount of time to discover life beyond Earth. The exomoon is extremely far away and with the technology we have now, it would take many, many years for a probe to reach an orbit. If we, theoretically, discovered life on the exomoon, getting humans to the moon would be very difficult. With the (again theoretical) use of wormholes, the journey may be possible, but this is highly impossible to be developed in 10-15 years. It is not even known to be possible. Although, discovering life on these exomoon and exoplanets, in my opinion, is not so far fetched. We already have the composition of other planets that are similar to Earth, that have the similar compositions to support life. We do not know the technology that some of these probable life forms possess on these planets. Maybe the will reach out to us?
(10-22-2018, 01:53 PM)Evan Yeremy Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 12:56 PM)Blake Cherpin Wrote:

I think it's hard to give an accurate judgement for the amount of time to discover life beyond Earth. The exomoon is extremely far away and with the technology we have now, it would take many, many years for a probe to reach an orbit. If we, theoretically, discovered life on the exomoon, getting humans to the moon would be very difficult. With the (again theoretical) use of wormholes, the journey may be possible, but this is highly impossible to be developed in 10-15 years. It is not even known to be possible. Although, discovering life on these exomoon and exoplanets, in my opinion, is not so far fetched. We already have the composition of other planets that are similar to Earth, that have the similar compositions to support life. We do not know the technology that some of these probable life forms possess on these planets. Maybe the will reach out to us?
In my opinion the likely hood of other life forms reaching out to us and trying to communicate would be higher than the likely hood of us finding and attempting communication with other life forms. The reason being is that, like I stated before, I don't think the technology and knowledge we have regarding space in general is advanced enough for us to find and attempt communication with other life forms anytime soon. With the possibility of either the other life forms reaching out to us or us to them rises the question regarding what communication involves. The possibility of the life forms speaking a dialect we know here on Earth is there but the possibility of them having dialect that is not known to us is also there. Bringing forth an issue because we could potentiallly have no clue as to what their purpose of reaching out to us and communicating with us is, wether it is threatening or simply their curiousity.

While I agree with you that our technology is better now than it ever has been before, I believe that it will be much longer than ten to fifteen years before we encounter any extra terrestrial life, unless they are the ones discovering our planet and our solar system. Our technology has not been able to get us on to Mars yet, so it is very unlikely that we would be able to design any types of technology that would be able to look as far into space that we would need to in order to find these extra terrestrial life forms, if in fact they do exist. However, with new discoveries being made as we speak, I fully agree with you that this is an extremely exciting time to be alive as we are witnessing incredible new discoveries each and every day.