Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mars rover targets Jerezo crater
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46264383

NASA is sending a rover to mars in 2020 and is targeting the Jerezo crater as a landing spot due to the belief that the 50km wide crater could hold secrets to past/current life on mars. NASA believes 3.9 billion years ago, the environment could have supported microbes because the area was much warmer and wetter back then. Satellite images show that a river may have once cut through its rim and formed a big lake. Do you think there was past or current life on mars? What would the outcome be of potentially discovering life on another planet, even if it is just small microbes.
(11-20-2018, 06:02 AM)Easton Huley Wrote: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46264383

NASA is sending a rover to mars in 2020 and is targeting the Jerezo crater as a landing spot due to the belief that the 50km wide crater could hold secrets to past/current life on mars. NASA believes 3.9 billion years ago, the environment could have supported microbes because the area was much warmer and wetter back then. Satellite images show that a river may have once cut through its rim and formed a big lake. Do you think there was past or current life on mars? What would the outcome be of potentially discovering life on another planet, even if it is just small microbes.

I think there was past life on mars as on the northern and southern hemispheres of mars there is ice on those surfaces. If there was a single microbe on mars I think that one singular microbe would mean that life is sustainable on mars as any of signs of life mean that it is sustainable for us as well. I don't think there is any life currently on mars but we have the potential to call mars a second home because I personally think that since there is ice on mars, there was water on mars. If we were to research further into mars we may find water beneath the surface and can begin colonizing mars. Also if our technology advances we could create water on mars and also begin colonizing mars without using the ice caps as water supplies.
(11-20-2018, 06:02 AM)Easton Huley Wrote: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46264383

I love the idea that more and more missions to Mars are taking place and I would like to think that at one point life was supported on Mars. Hopefully, these missions come out successful and we are able to find some sort of life on Mars as it would mean that one day we could possibly go out there. I would love to visit Mars one day, but I'd think that it will be a long time until we get people on there. The idea in the article about possibly making oxygen on Mars makes this Red Planet expedition even more exciting as we might actually be able to breathe on Mars. Of course those are only possibilities and nothing is for certain, but all we can be is hopeful for the future. This mission, along with other missions like Insight, continue to aim to expand our knowledge instead of keeping to what we know. Maybe one day we can have a second planet and become like a science fiction story.
I think it is very beneficial for this mission to mars to target a spot on the surface that could of supported life, or at least had water. This will narrow our search for life on mars, because many types of life we are familiar with need water to sustain them, so it is a good place to start on mars. Missions like this one and the Insight mission, are great starts too further expand our knowledge of not only mars, but our universe as a whole.

While i do admit that this is seems to be a phenomenal project that could very well lead us onto paths of discovering life away from earth, part of me wishes that this much effort would be put into delving into the deepest depths of our oceans and making strides on discovering the seventy-some percent of water-mass that has yet to be discovered.