Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Zealand Beached Whales: Why are so many getting stranded?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46400957

This article is about the large amount of whales that have been getting stranded and dying on the beaches of New Zealand over the past few weeks. The article points out that while whales getting stranded on beaches are not rare, it is usually just a singular whale, but lately, there have been large groups of whales dying on the beaches. One of the factors of this happening is that the whales may be sick, injured or hungry, and by the time they reach the beach, they are either dying or already dead. Another reason that the whales are dying is that they may sometimes make navigational mistakes. The whales sometimes mistake shallow water for deep water, and they are not suited for living in shallow water. They then end up getting stranded by the tide. Another reason, and probably the biggest one, is that whales have a tendency to follow each other, or follow one leader. So, if one whale enters a spot of danger, all the other whales may follow, and they might all end up dead.

I believe that, as humans, it is our responsibility to take care of the animals in the world. The whale is a great animal, and if this continues on for any longer, it could become threatened or endangered in the wild. We need to do whatever we can to help save the whales.
This article is really upsetting to know that multiple whales are dying because of many different reasons. I believe that whales are a beautiful ocean animal. The article mentioned many different reasons why the whales may be dying but the one that caught my eye was the warming waters which may be caused by climate change. I believe that humans may have played a role in this part because we are not being very responsible with our environment. I also believe humans may have played a part in the whale's sickness and injury. I wouldn't say that humans are the only reason why the whale is getting sick and injured but I think the pollution in the water caused by humans may lead to and cause the whale to getting sick and injured. I agree that we should take responsibility to take care of all the animals in the world but at the same time how much can we, as humans do? The article also mentioned other reasons why the whales are dying which are that the whales are following each other and making navigational mistakes. How, as humans, are we able to change that and fix that? Even though I think and agree that it is our responsibility to take care of the animals in the world, I find it difficult to think about how we are able to help stop the whales from dying when they are making the mistakes like following each other, making navigational mistakes, and mistaking shallow water for deep water.