Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Barrier Reef: One million tonnes of sludge to be dumped
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47330830

Australia is planning to dump about one million tonnes of sludge in the Great Barrier Reef, despite the GBRMPA having strict laws on dumping waste. Due to a loophole found, it was discovered that the laws do not apply to materials that are generated from port maintenance work. A week before this, flood water from Queensland spread into the reef- which will destroy the coral further. I agree with Larissa Waters, senator for Queensland and co-deputy leader of the Greens Party, when she explains "The last thing the reef needs is more sludge dumped on it, after being slammed by the floods". The Great Barrier Reef is already under stress due to climate change heavily worsening as the years go on. The sludge, sadly, is coating the reef which prevents it from getting a normal amount of algae that gives them their colour and helps them feed. I believe that we must put more care and consideration into our reefs if we want our oceanic species to thrive. If we cannot maintain species levels in the ocean, it will be difficult to maintain ones on land. I hope in the near future countries can keep up their their pledges to protect the Great Barrier Reef.
Recently, in media, there has an abundant amount of news about pollution of our waters. I'm sure that a majority of people have heard about "garbage island" or about decreasing the use of plastic straws in order to save sea turtles. Coral reefs in general are already under a great amount of stress due to climate change, as well as rapid decrease in marine life. The Great Barrier Reef, no different from any other coral reef, is also under a great amount of stress due to these reasons. Dumping waste into the ocean will only further damage the coral reefs, which in turn, impacts all of marine life, decreasing biodiversity. Marine life has considerably decreased over the past few decades, and this dumping will only cause additional damage. I agree with you, and also hope that we will be able to put more care into protecting the Great Barrier Reef, as well as other coral reefs. It is awful to see that despite all the news in the media about pollution, especially water pollution, people continue to pollute our oceans. People should be more responsible with how we discard our waste instead of just choosing the cheapest option and dumping it into oceans, undoubtedly damaging our planet.