Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cultured Lab Meat
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47283162

As our population continues to increase, the demand for meat will also increase. This can be seen as a major issue and threat to the Earth's climate as 1/4 of greenhouse gas emissions comes from agriculture as stated in the article. Of those greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture, methane from cattle has been problematic and matters will continue to get worse if we don't come up with a solution soon. One possible solution to this sustainability issue would be the global production and distribution of cultured meat (lab grown). Within the last decade, scientists have been able to create meat in labs around the world by harmlessly extracting stem cells out of the cattle and programming them to differentiate into muscle and fat cells. It then grows until it reaches a reasonable size. Unfortunately, it's too early too really tell how much cleaner this form of meat production will be, and also how the global population will react to consuming lab grown meats. Another possible issue of cultured meat production would relate to the economic point of view. Besides oil, agriculture plays a major role in Alberta's economy and by introducing this new production of meat it could seriously impact Alberta negatively. Overall, in the years to come I would like to see how this improves and how people will react to this new method of meat production.  
It's quite incredible to see people already using stem cells in a feasible way, it seems like only a couple of years ago when there was so much money being spent on stem cell research. Although I would've imagined a different way of these cells being harnessed, it's invigorating to see an age-old problem being solved in this unconventional way. However, this "solution" might bring up some problems that in turn, will result in the complete rejection of this concept from the market. One example is that the same people who complain about genetically modified foods will shift their attention onto lab grown meat and say it's completely unorthodox and disgusting. Another is economical and a long term investment in lab grown meat will definitely repel businesses and the health benefits may score more points for natural meat. It is true that contagious diseases in farms will be avoided in a lab environment, but lab grown meat could lack essential nutrients and vitamins that we get from conventional meat. Overall, I don't believe that we will be seeing in vitro meat production as a consumer product anytime soon, the world's first lab grown burger cost about $400,000 to produce and I personally would not be willing to pay money that I don't have for lunch.