Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wetland mud is 'secret weapon' against climate change
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47472602

Muddy coastal marshes are called "sleeping giants" due to the fact that they could fight climate change. Scientists studied the mud in these wetlands and deducted that the sea level is linked to the amount of carbon wetlands store in their soil. As sea levels rise, sediment washes over tidal marshes. This causes carbon-rich material to be buried in the muddy layers. Coastal wetlands, specifically, are efficient at in-taking carbon and locking it away. In addition, when the marshland plants inevitably die, they bury themselves into the mud instead of decomposing and releasing carbon into the atmosphere. The sediment from the sea water both traps organic matter and increases wetland elevation. "'With sea-level rise, this acts as an adaptation measure by enabling wetlands to build elevation as the sea rises.'" Wetlands can migrate on land as long as they have space. Doubling carbon stored in the wetlands would account for an additional five million tonnes of atmospheric carbon to be sucked into the mud every year. Knowing coastal wetlands are suffering in our day and age, I believe it is important to look further into protection of these areas. The fact that within a year, the amount of carbon stored in some of these wetlands could equate to removing about one million cars off the road is huge. I believe it is essential to international cooperate and discuss techniques in regards to these lands. This research is something to not gaze over; the potential carbon benefits is a great opportunity to help tackle climate change.
It is fascinating to see the numerous different ways we are able to fight against climate change on our planet. Wetlands acting as carbon sinks is definitely an advantage in helping humans fighting against climate change. Increasing carbon storage in wetlands will considerably decrease the amount of carbon in the earth’s atmosphere, benefiting the earth’s environment. I agree, and also believe that it is important to advocate the protection of wetlands, as well as the areas around wetlands. Since “wetlands can migrate on land as long as they have space,” we as people should work on allowing the wetlands to expand and migrate. Increasing the size of our wetlands may also help increase the amount of carbon that is able to be stored in the mud of the wetlands. Although protecting wetlands and allowing them to grow is a benefit, since many of the coastal wetlands crosses national boundaries, we will only be able to take advantage of the wetland’s carbon storing through international cooperation. We can only hope that the different nations are able to come to an agreement and cooperate to protect the earth’s wetlands.
I agree with you both fully, however I think there is one major issue with this method. Yes this method is a great way to reduce carbon emissions but the thing is, not everybody will agree with preserving and expanding wetlands. Humans have destroyed almost all of our planet's rainforests in order to meet the demand of a materialistic and greedy population. Why would nations all over the world agree to save and expand wetlands now? Don't get me wrong I think if there was an internation unified agreement to investigate and embrace wetlands helping us to save the world, this discovery would be even more influential. Although I so wish we lived in a perfect world, we don't, and that is why I believe this method may not be the most appealing to world leaders that crave power and money and expansion.