Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Planet Venus: Hopes rise of new mission to the hothouse world
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47672736

The idea that has been going around for a long time that Venus is geologically dead is said to be a myth. Venus is a hot world with surface temperatures of 500C. It has a thick atmosphere which increases surface pressure up to 90 bars. Researchers have looked further into the planet and have found ongoing volcanic and tectonic activity that suggests it is alive. Scientists are building new narratives to explain the landscape which includes the existence of "toffee planets"- thin layered lithosphere planets- which incorporates knowledge found through studying exoplanets. Toffee planets develop due to planetary mass, atmospheric pressure, and the distance of a planet from its star.The European Space Agency is coming up with a Venus mission, EnVision, along with two astronomy proposals- Theseus and Spica. I find it exciting that we are looking towards not only focusing on Mars, but we are looking into Venus and finding it is very much alive. I am thrilled for a potential mission in the future.
Often times when I learn about famous people in history and what they have discovered or provided for us, I see constant trial and errors and wonder why people today are not doing that. However, I realize now after reading the article and your summary as well as your opinion, that they are! It shows that some discoveries have to be relooked at, technology is constantly changing and so is our knowledge on things we once thought were one way. The new discoveries involing Venus, in my opinion, show that the methods that scietists or influential people in history used (trial and error) are still practiced today just with better technology. This article makes me excited for what else may be discovered and how that will change the things we see now.