Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Britain Breaks Coal-Free Power Record
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48015613

Over the Easter weekend, Britain underwent it's longest stretch with out the use of coal, surpassing the previous record set on April 2018 (April 2017 being the first full day since the industrial revolution that coal was not used). Though this sounds great, many experts suggested that in the absence of coal generated power, they switched over to gas and other fossil fuels. To me this is essentially cheating since the overall goal of fazing out coal for 90 hours was situated towards having a greener environment. It is still without a doubt an impressive effort, proving that coal generated power can be fazed out for a few days. It just needs to take more time and effort by nations around the world to replace the the coal with something else renewable, instead of gas and fossil fuels. Other countries that rely on a small or large amount coal for generating power should also try and attempt fazing it out for a few days and see how the compare to Britain.
I think the cut down on the use of coal generated power was a convenient way for Britain's government to portray that they are putting in effort towards slowing climate change, when really the use of gas and other focal fuels is just as damaging. I believe it's important to try and reduce the amount of greenhouse gases emitted into the atmosphere, however this will not happen if one source is simply replaced with another.
I believe the idea is great and if even for a day has an social effect, but i don't believe any long term solution can be made unless a more sustainable but also cheap and readily available fuel source can be found. Even if the entire world stopped using coal for a day the problem lies in the fact that the very next day most of that progress would be lost. But spreading the idea that we don't need coal can lead to more awareness and hopefully desire to find a better fuel source.