Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Earliest direct evidence of milk consumption
Big Grin 
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environ...ting-story

Scientists have discovered the earliest direct evidence of milk consumption by humans.
The team identified milk protein entombed in dental plaque on the teeth of prehistoric farmers from Britain.
It shows that humans were consuming dairy products as early as 6,000 years ago - despite being lactose intolerant.
This could suggest they processed the raw milk into cheese, yoghurt or some other fermented product.
This would have reduced its lactose content, making it more palatable.

The team members scraped samples of plaque off the teeth, separated the different components within it and analyzed them using mass spectrometry.
They detected a milk protein called beta-lactoglobulin (BLG) in the tartar of seven individuals spanning early to middle Neolithic times.

I think that this is a very interesting discovery. Humans have always found ways to turn situations to their advantage. This shows how innovative the homo sapiens species is even as early as 6000 years ago.
This is quite interesting thing, however, upon this discovery were there humans who died due their intolerance to lactose.
(09-18-2019, 11:10 AM)Idris_A Wrote: This is quite interesting thing, however, upon this discovery were there humans who died due their intolerance to lactose.
It says in the article the majority of Europeans at that time had a gene allowing them to continue consumption of milk into adulthood, it also talks about how previous studies of the genetics of the same kind of Europeans lacked this mutation, so it might be specific to that area then the continent.
I believe that they developed a natural technique to reduce the effect of lactose, as well it was cheaper and easier for farmers to feed their family anything they can make than to go out to find to purchase/trade for food, I also believe that this technique was imbedded into their culture/tradition and pass it down from generation, but it was lost like most culture/tradition, a possible cause is antibodies & chemicals became more relevant then natural.