Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A third of tropical African plants face extinction
Star 
According to a new assessment, a third of tropical African plants are on their way to extinction. Much of Western Africa are the hardest hit regions, at risk of losing up to 40% of their richness in plants. Species at risk include trees, shrubs, herbs and woody vines. Scientists say that deforestation, population growth, and climate change are all threats to the species. 

Africa is a region of great biodiversity, and with a drastic decrease, this could affect other species such as animals which depend on these tropical plants. With this new method of assessment, scientists found that 33% of the species are potentially threatened with extinction, and another third of species are likely rare, potentially becoming threatened in the near future. The scientists also stated that this is mainly due to human activities such as deforestation, land-use changes, population growth, economic development, and climate change. 

This would be a very drastic change to areas of Western Africa if 33% of tropical plant species were wiped out. This would decrease the biodiversity incredibly, and be very harmful to the ecosystems. As stated, scientists believe that this is caused by human activities, which is terrible, yet not surprising. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50477684
This is actually very scary to think and read about. But it does need to be taken into understanding as it is a very real problem that not only Africa is facing but our whole world. Not only are plants in Africa are getting on the verge of extinction but many animals and plants all over the world, and I believe it is from global warming- the human race. Anyone else agree? Africa losing plants is not only bad for biodiversity and extinction. It also plays a part in the ecosystem. As plants begin to disappear, animals like herbivores will begin to disappear as well, everything will take an effect on the decrease of plant population in Africa. I think there should be brainstorming and actual activities to fix this. We need to start planting more plants and actually take care of our world and start fixing our mistakes. Would you agree?
This is really sad as the population keeps increasing and climate change may also be contributing to the species at risk of going extinct. I wonder what other steps we can take to halt or at least bring this destruction to a minimum? Will planting trees and plants be really beneficial?
Yet again the horrible destruction that humans caused to our beautiful planet. We only care about our own selfish desires and we do not look out for the other organisms with which we share Earth with.
(11-21-2019, 02:33 PM)LydiaKlok Wrote: This is actually very scary to think and read about. But it does need to be taken into understanding as it is a very real problem that not only Africa is facing but our whole world. Not only are plants in Africa are getting on the verge of extinction but many animals and plants all over the world, and I believe it is from global warming- the human race. Anyone else agree? Africa losing plants is not only bad for biodiversity and extinction. It also plays a part in the ecosystem. As plants begin to disappear, animals like herbivores will begin to disappear as well, everything will take an effect on the decrease of plant population in Africa. I think there should be brainstorming and actual activities to fix this. We need to start planting more plants and actually take care of our world and start fixing our mistakes. Would you agree?
I agree with you. Like my grandma uses these plants as a medicine for cramps and I will say it works faster and better than any pain reliever, but now that plant has gone on extinct in my country.