Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Hope for trees affected by ash dieback
Thumbs Up 
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50420207

There has been a discovery by scientists who have found a resistance to the disease, ash dieback. Ash dieback was originally from Asia and it is a disease that Ash trees get by the fungus Hymenoscyphus Fraxineus. Introduced to Europe this fungus brings great danger and destruction to trees, but in its native range it brings little harm. Therefore in Europe, as the study was taken, in the UK, if trees are not treated with this new found resistance than it could definitely cost the government a bunch of money, and nevertheless we do not want our trees dying with diseases anyway, we want our trees healthy. We as the human race should be taking care of our environment just because its our duty. There is good news that there are 3,000 locations in which the DNA of the ash trees are definitely contributing to resistance. Which means there is a chance for this epidemic to be laid to rest in places like the UK, where this disease can stop harming our trees. Does anyone else have any opinions?
It is quite fascinating to hear that trees are able to adapt and evolve to grow immunity from the deadly fungus that threatens them. I am curious as to what species of trees are affected and the destruction that the fungus can cause.
I agree that we should start taking care of our environment more because we rely on earth as our home planet and the environment itself is earth and its soul or lifeforce(whatever you believe in), and if we don't take care of it, it will wither away and end up a wast land were nothing can inhabit it anymore and the cycle of life will start all over again. like how life started when the earth was a fireball but now it's going to start off a wasteland to something new.
It would be really great if the resistance to ash dieback worked, as the disease is wiping out masses of ash trees. In the article it states that this could wipe out up to 70% of all ash trees, which would drastically affect everyone and everything around these trees. Habitats could be destroyed, humans would be affected, and ecosystems would be harmed. This would be a very extreme change and would negatively affect the environment. It is great that scientists are researching matters like this, as they are very important regarding the state of our environment. Although we are not there yet, in the future it would be great to eventually stop ash dieback from damaging trees at all, creating some sort of cure.
Diseases like do lead to a lot of damages to trees and it is really great to see humans taking on the initiative to protect the species. It is sad to see that not only are there threats from from pests and diseases, climate change is also a threat too. I wonder what more can be done.
(11-23-2019, 10:13 AM)Justin Robertson Wrote: It is quite fascinating to hear that trees are able to adapt and evolve to grow immunity from the deadly fungus that threatens them. I am curious as to what species of trees are affected and the destruction that the fungus can cause.
I mean trees are like animals and human we adapt to our surroundings and use anything around us as a means of survival.  The trees are immune to it and probably uses the fungus are a way to scare off plant eating animals or it might use it as a catalyst.