Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Discovery: The Deepest Land Canyon in the World
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50753113

A canyon in East Antarctica, currently called the Denman Glacier has been discovered to be the world's deepest canyon, not including deeper ravines and depths in the vast sea. The canyon is over 3.5 km below sea level. For reference, the Mariana's Trench goes about 11 km below sea level. Still, for a waterless canyon, 3.5 km is an astounding depth, considering how the previous record holder of deepest land on Earth was the Dead Sea shore at around 413 m. 

Microwave pulses to scan the rock topography as well as kinematics to find the depth based on the speed of falling ice was used to determine the shape of this canyon. This was an interesting discovery, to say the least, comment your thoughts below!
we continue to discover something new everyday and its amazing to learn what we continue to discover. That we discovered the world's deepest canyon is simply amazing but i am sure there is another canyon to be discovered that will be sometime in the future, as things continue to be discovered. The technology used to determine the shape and depth of the canyon is simply amazing.
(12-15-2019, 03:40 AM)LydiaKlok Wrote: we continue to discover something new everyday and its amazing to learn what we continue to discover. That we discovered the world's deepest canyon is simply amazing but i am sure there is another canyon to be discovered that will be sometime in the future, as things continue to be discovered. The technology used to determine the shape and depth of the canyon is simply amazing.
Yeah is fascinating how every day new things are discovered and your right with technology we can find much more
It is always amazing to discover more about the earth everyday. The glacier really is beautiful
The depth of this canyon is quite astounding. I would love to see what it looks like. It is mind boggling to think about how much of our own planet we haven't explored yet.
I wonder how many gees one would feel being that much closer to the earths core..