Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cosmic vibrations sensed from unusual star merger
Gravitational waves are a prediction of the Theory of General Relativity. They are ripples in the fabric of space-time generated by violent events. Scientists have observed gravitational waves emanating from the collision of two dense dead stars. The combined mass of the merging stars was at three and a half times that of our Sun, a system this big has never been seen in our galaxy before. The union of these two stars almost certainly created a black hole. Scientists detecting these waves opens up the universe to completely new investigations. The first historic detection of gravitational waves occured in September of 2015. This article contains some very cool information that I had not heard of before. The article allows us to learn something odd, yet fascinating about our universe. It's cool to know that most of these neutron star collisions that emit these gravitational waves most often form black holes afterwards. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51020604
I find this cool to learn and read about. Although we can find out so much about space using the vast variety of technology it is cool that we can find out stuff like as you said how star collisions can form black holes after. I believe that with all our technology and advancements its amazing how much we know! and continue to learn everyday.
The sheer size and scale of these stars is quite incredible. It is fascinating to learn celestial bodies like gravitational waves and black holes and how our universe works. I how scientists would be able to use this information.
There is so much more to learn about our universe and it is really amazing to know that even though humans have found out much about our world, there is still a lot that we do not know.