Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SpaceX sends 60 more Starlink satellites into orbit
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51013308
California's SpaceX company has launched another 60 satellites in its Starlink network.

It brings to 182 the number of spacecraft the firm has now put in the sky as part of its plan to provide a global broadband internet service.

But the roll-out has brought a wave of criticism from astronomers who complain that large numbers of artificial objects in the night sky will ruin their view of the cosmos.
But the roll-out has brought a wave of criticism from astronomers who complain that large numbers of artificial objects in the night sky will ruin their view of the cosmos.
Once in their final orbit, the spacecraft should be barely visible, the company says; and it is providing detailed Starlink coordinates to astronomy groups so that they can better plan their observations to avoid interference.
One of the 60 satellites on the latest mission also had an experimental coating to see if that could further reduce its reflectivity.
Whether the scientists will be satisfied remains to be seen.

In previous articles, the side effects of the reflectivity of satellites distorting the view of the cosmos for scientists was talked about. Yet, another 60 satellites have been launched again. Having lots of satellites orbiting the earth does help in communication and internet access thus having many benefits, but I feel humans may regret sending too many into space as they may lead to unintended consequences just like global warming is one resulting from human activities.
I think that if the company is true to what they state, saying that the spacecrafts should barely be visible, this is a great thing. Sending out these satellites will be advantageous to SpaceX in better observing our solar system and beyond. I agree, having these satellites does very much help with communication, and as technology continues to grow, I think they will just keep sending out more satellites and other tech to space.
I think the answer remains to be seen with this particular problem. Are the concerns from the astronomers as serious as we have thought. SpaceX appears to be cognizant of the problem and has taken steps to mitigate it. I think it is impressive that SpaceX had launched this amount of satellites given I had only heard about this project a couple months ago.