Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Climate change: Loss of bumblebees driven by 'climate chaos'
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51375600 

A new analysis shows the likelihood of a bee being found in any given place in Europe and North America has declined by a third since the 1970s. Researchers said that the climbing temperatures will increasingly cause declines, which are already more severe than previously thought.
Bumblebees are among the most important plant pollinators. Bumblebees are key pollinators of many fruits, vegetables and wild plants. Without them, some crops could fail, reducing food for humans and countless other species.
They have linked this decline to climate change - and more specifically to the extreme temperatures and the climate chaos that climate change is producing. Declines in range and abundance have been documented from a range of causes, including pesticides, disease and habitat loss. Bees have been hardest hit in southern regions such as Spain and Mexico due to more frequent extreme warm years. While populations have expanded into cooler northern regions, this has not been enough to compensate for the losses. There are around 250 species of bumblebee in the world. According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, declines have been documented in Europe, North America, South America, and Asia, caused by a variety of threats that range from habitat loss and degradation to diseases and pesticide use.

I believe that we should start taking serious measures to try to stabilize the temperature instead of constantly increasing it. The choices we make now will determine how much the planet's temperature will rise. Higher temperatures mean that heat waves are likely to happen more often and last longer. Heat waves can be dangerous, causing illnesses such as heat cramps, heat stroke, and possibly even death. Increasing air temperature affects the oceans, weather patterns, snow and ice, and plants and animals (ex. bees). The warmer it gets, the more severe the impacts on people, animals, and the environment will be. I think that we should start to utilize our resources better, like using less electricity, car pooling, using the bus, cutting down less trees, and start regrowing more forests. I believe that if everyone comes together to do little things then eventually it will all add up and make a difference to our Earth and to the climate. We should be thinking about the future because it will be too late if we leave it all until the last minute.
(02-07-2020, 12:16 PM)Vanessa Angotti Wrote: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51375600 

A new analysis shows the likelihood of a bee being found in any given place in Europe and North America has declined by a third since the 1970s. Researchers said that the climbing temperatures will increasingly cause declines, which are already more severe than previously thought.
Bumblebees are among the most important plant pollinators. Bumblebees are key pollinators of many fruits, vegetables and wild plants. Without them, some crops could fail, reducing food for humans and countless other species.
They have linked this decline to climate change - and more specifically to the extreme temperatures and the climate chaos that climate change is producing. Declines in range and abundance have been documented from a range of causes, including pesticides, disease and habitat loss. Bees have been hardest hit in southern regions such as Spain and Mexico due to more frequent extreme warm years. While populations have expanded into cooler northern regions, this has not been enough to compensate for the losses. There are around 250 species of bumblebee in the world. According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature, declines have been documented in Europe, North America, South America, and Asia, caused by a variety of threats that range from habitat loss and degradation to diseases and pesticide use.

I believe that we should start taking serious measures to try to stabilize the temperature instead of constantly increasing it. The choices we make now will determine how much the planet's temperature will rise. Higher temperatures mean that heat waves are likely to happen more often and last longer. Heat waves can be dangerous, causing illnesses such as heat cramps, heat stroke, and possibly even death. Increasing air temperature affects the oceans, weather patterns, snow and ice, and plants and animals (ex. bees). The warmer it gets, the more severe the impacts on people, animals, and the environment will be. I think that we should start to utilize our resources better, like using less electricity, car pooling, using the bus, cutting down less trees, and start regrowing more forests. I believe that if everyone comes together to do little things then eventually it will all add up and make a difference to our Earth and to the climate. We should be thinking about the future because it will be too late if we leave it all until the last minute.
K
I completely agree, that is a very good point!