Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warm Winter in Europe
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51758223

With average temperatures 1.4°C above the previous high of 2015/2015, 2019/2020 winter has been the warmest on record for Europe. Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) says the warmth was very evident in the north and east of the continent where a number of local temperature records were being broken. The December-February average was 3.4°C above the 1981-2010 norm. This made 2019/20 by far the warmest European winter in the data records from 1979.

It is said that the mild conditions this winter led to a number of impacts across Europe. This includes difficulties for reindeer herding in northern Sweden, failure of the ice-wine harvest in Germany, and having to import snow for sporting events in Sweden and Russia.
I believe that this is a very important topic. I think everyone should start taking serious measures to try to stabilize the temperature instead of constantly increasing it. The choices we make now will determine how much the planet's temperature will rise. Higher temperatures mean that heat waves are likely to happen more often and last longer. Heat waves can be dangerous, causing illnesses such as heat cramps, heat stroke, and possibly even death. Increasing air temperature affects the oceans, weather patterns, snow and ice, and plants and animals. The warmer it gets, the more severe the impacts on people and the environment will be. I think that we should start utilize our resources better, like using less electricity, car pooling, using the bus, cutting down less trees, and start regrowing more forests. I believe that if everyone comes together to do little things then eventually it will all add up and make a difference to our Earth and to the climate (temperature). We should be thinking about the future because it will be too late if we continue to let the temperature rise and not do anything about it.