Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does caffeine really make me more alert?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z9bcwxs

Caffeine is many people's drug of choice, creating a sense of awareness and energy. But does caffeine really work this way in all of its forms? Many people can consume up to 400mg of caffeine each day with no problems, but we often don't know that we can get caffeine from foods other than coffee. A few of these include energy drinks, tea, coca cola and chocolate, with less caffeine in each product respectively. Caffeine blocks the action of adenosine, a molecule that tells our brain to feel tired. In tests, scientists discovered that caffeine makes our brains work faster, however not smarter. Caffeine may improve physical performance, but mental performance in long time users is mostly unaffected. I found this interesting because I normally drink 2-3 large coffees a day, and often times they don't even keep me awake as much as I'd like them too. Getting more rest is the real key to staying alert.
(01-02-2017, 04:58 AM)KlaudiaKowalik Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z9bcwxs

Caffeine is many people's drug of choice, creating a sense of awareness and energy. But does caffeine really work this way in all of its forms? Many people can consume up to 400mg of caffeine each day with no problems, but we often don't know that we can get caffeine from foods other than coffee. A few of these include energy drinks, tea, coca cola and chocolate, with less caffeine in each product respectively. Caffeine blocks the action of adenosine, a molecule that tells our brain to feel tired. In tests, scientists discovered that caffeine makes our brains work faster, however not smarter. Caffeine may improve physical performance, but mental performance in long time users is mostly unaffected. I found this interesting because I normally drink 2-3 large coffees a day, and often times they don't even keep me awake as much as I'd like them too. Getting more rest is the real key to staying alert.

I found it kind of interesting that i could get 10mg of chocolate because I only ever really saw drinks like coffee, energy drinks and cola as a source of caffeine. I guess even a coffee hater like me can still get their fix of caffeine without having to fill up a cup of coffee. I guess it is a plus for me as well because although I may be awake, I would have suffered intellectually if I had grabbed a cup rather than if i had gotten a good nights sleep after a moderate amount of sleep.