Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
personality may develop before speech
Shocked 
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160907...could-talk

I know this is more of a psychological article rather than the three core sciences but I did find it extremely interesting. This article stresses the importance of the influence we have on babies, in the early stages of life. Recently more and more studies have been released connecting child temperament (nature that could become permanent) to adult personality. Of course child temperament does not always influence adult personality as we know people can change completely. But researchers are agreeing that the characteristics that appear in the first years of life form a basis for your later personality. Before babies begin to talk they begin forming their personalities and the base for who they are going to become as adults. A study did show  by 12-30 months babies already have very specific personality traits developed that will show in the future. As a child grows their personality traits that they have developed along their few years of life solidify. I just thought this was an extremely interesting article how we are already forming the person we will become before we can even socialize. I think that studies should continue, so that we can figure out precisely what influences determine who the infant becomes. Maybe in the future we can learn to influence certain personality traits in infants so that they grow up on solid and positive personality traits.
(09-14-2016, 09:31 AM)Mckennabubar Wrote: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160907...could-talk

I know this is more of a psychological article rather than the three core sciences but I did find it extremely interesting. This article stresses the importance of the influence we have on babies, in the early stages of life. Recently more and more studies have been released connecting child temperament (nature that could become permanent) to adult personality. Of course child temperament does not always influence adult personality as we know people can change completely. But researchers are agreeing that the characteristics that appear in the first years of life form a basis for your later personality. Before babies begin to talk they begin forming their personalities and the base for who they are going to become as adults. A study did show  by 12-30 months babies already have very specific personality traits developed that will show in the future. As a child grows their personality traits that they have developed along their few years of life solidify. I just thought this was an extremely interesting article how we are already forming the person we will become before we can even socialize. I think that studies should continue, so that we can figure out precisely what influences determine who the infant becomes. Maybe in the future we can learn to influence certain personality traits in infants so that they grow up on solid and positive personality traits.
I found this study interesteing and saw another article that in some way, may connect to the one you have posted about. 

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160726...ing-a-baby

This article has to do with the memories that we lose from our early stages of life, often referred to as "infant amnesia." Reading this second article made me think about how the memories we have effect our personalities. For example, if you have lost somebody close to you, it may morph a certain part of your personality, while not drastically changing it. Studies have found that people cannot recall many, or any of the memories they developed before the age of six. The connection we have between our personalities and our memories is evident as we grow older, but what about the disconnect between our memories and our personalities in our young age? As a baby develops, they may show signs of their personality which just intensify as they grow. The meat of our personality is developed at an early age,  however at the same time, the things we once experienced are often lost and impossible to bring back. As we grow older, the gap between our memories and our personalities grows smaller. This indicates that our brains may rewire themselves during or soon after the time of our experiences, and though our subconscious mind is aware of the things that shaped our views, our conscious minds may not be.
(09-14-2016, 03:02 PM)KlaudiaKowalik Wrote:
(09-14-2016, 09:31 AM)Mckennabubar Wrote: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160907...could-talk

I found this study interesteing and saw another article that in some way, may connect to the one you have posted about. 

This article has to do with the memories that we lose from our early stages of life, often referred to as "infant amnesia." Reading this second article made me think about how the memories we have effect our personalities. For example, if you have lost somebody close to you, it may morph a certain part of your personality, while not drastically changing it. Studies have found that people cannot recall many, or any of the memories they developed before the age of six. The connection we have between our personalities and our memories is evident as we grow older, but what about the disconnect between our memories and our personalities in our young age? As a baby develops, they may show signs of their personality which just intensify as they grow. The meat of our personality is developed at an early age,  however at the same time, the things we once experienced are often lost and impossible to bring back. As we grow older, the gap between our memories and our personalities grows smaller. This indicates that our brains may rewire themselves during or soon after the time of our experiences, and though our subconscious mind is aware of the things that shaped our views, our conscious minds may not be.
Wow that's really interesting actually but brings up a thought, since the connection between our personality and memories grow as we get older, our memories and experiences probably influence or personality and decisions. But at what point when we are growing up or when does the gradual connection begin that link memories to our personality, as with the infant amnesia as you stated, do those memories still affect our personalities although we cannot recall them? Or do you think infant version of our personalities could be influenced by another factor? Such as genetics? Obviously your genes have a huge impact on who you are but let's say for an example you're adopted by two lovely parents and your biological parents are the opposite or don't have the best personality traits. What do you think would influence the child more in youth(things will gradually change as they grow older)? Their core genetics? Or the memories they develope as an infant which they will forget. Or do infant memories just form the basis for our personalities and as we grow new memories replace those and therefore can change our personality gradually or even drastically if there is a drastic change in the youth years that could have a major impact such as the loss of a parent or such.
(09-15-2016, 04:22 AM)Mckennabubar Wrote:

Wow that's really interesting actually but brings up a thought, since the connection between our personality and memories grow as we get older, our memories and experiences probably influence or personality and decisions. But at what point when we are growing up or when does the gradual connection begin that link memories to our personality, as with the infant amnesia as you stated, do those memories still affect our personalities although we cannot recall them? Or do you think infant version of our personalities could be influenced by another factor? Such as genetics? Obviously your genes have a huge impact on who you are but let's say for an example you're adopted by two lovely parents and your biological parents are the opposite or don't have the best personality traits. What do you think would influence the child more in youth(things will gradually change as they grow older)? Their core genetics? Or the memories they develope as an infant which they will forget. Or do infant memories just form the basis for our personalities and as we grow new memories replace those and therefore can change our personality gradually or even drastically if there is a drastic change in the youth years that could have a major impact such as the loss of a parent or such.

That's super relevant too and brings up a thought about something I heard on a youtube video. This is extremely rare, but there have been cases where twins or siblings who are separated at birth and have no connection develop the same kinds of personality traits, even if they grew up in completely different areas with different households and lifestyles. Perhaps the core parts of our personalities that are first to develop within us do stem from the genes we acquire, and not our memories, and maybe the lack of inner connection is what causes us to forget those memories. On the other hand, there are many siblings that live together and are polar opposites. I know a young girl and boy who are both extremely shy children and have similar personality traits. I also know a set of twins who are 11, and are completely different from one another. The mix of our genetic makeup and our memories that help us develop our distinct personalities must both be a contributing factor, but the extent to which each of these things effect an individual clearly varies a lot.

I think the brain is fascinating, especially in children and babies, when everything is developing.  The fact that everyone's personalities turn out so different is remarkable considering how similar we are in so many other ways.  Personally, I think that although genetics is certainly significant in forming the basis of personalities, the environments, experiences, and memories we have as children and babies are the most significant factors.  Obviously there is no way to scientifically prove my opinion, but children are so open to life and willing to become what their environment shapes them to be.  They look up to their parents so much and always talk about how they want to be "just like their mom/dad" when they grow up.  Their memories at those young ages, although they may not stay in the forefront of their minds forever as the Infant Amnesia study showed, certainly shape who they are and how they act during their early life, as those memories would be all they would know.  But again, that's one of the most amazing things about the brain: that it develops in ways we may never truly understand, especially during childhood.
(09-15-2016, 01:15 PM)Brynn Merkosky Wrote:

I think the brain is fascinating, especially in children and babies, when everything is developing.  The fact that everyone's personalities turn out so different is remarkable considering how similar we are in so many other ways.  Personally, I think that although genetics is certainly significant in forming the basis of personalities, the environments, experiences, and memories we have as children and babies are the most significant factors.  Obviously there is no way to scientifically prove my opinion, but children are so open to life and willing to become what their environment shapes them to be.  They look up to their parents so much and always talk about how they want to be "just like their mom/dad" when they grow up.  Their memories at those young ages, although they may not stay in the forefront of their minds forever as the Infant Amnesia study showed, certainly shape who they are and how they act during their early life, as those memories would be all they would know.  But again, that's one of the most amazing things about the brain: that it develops in ways we may never truly understand, especially during childhood.
Yes, the spectrum of the ways that different individuals develop is so wide and varied that I believe it won't be possible to pin point the exact cause of this for decades. In fact, maybe we never will pin point the exact cause because our bodies are endlessly developing in different ways
http://psychology.jrank.org/pages/485/Pe...pment.html

Just came across this website, it pretty much covers what we have previously talked about. I like how it does explain the origination of each theory brought up and explains them all in a little depth. It also mentions events that can affect a childhood personality basis from naturally developing
(09-20-2016, 04:10 AM)Mckennabubar Wrote: http://psychology.jrank.org/pages/485/Pe...pment.html

Just came across this website, it pretty much covers what we have previously talked about. I like how it does explain the origination of each theory brought up and explains them all in a little depth. It also mentions events that can affect a childhood personality basis from naturally developing

That article did a really good job of trying to help people understand that personalities differ as a result of several factors, and that society should respect each individual's personal nature, such as the example of the child who plays by themselves because they are uneasy playing with other kids and the child who simply prefers to play alone.  Either way, there are many things that have played into the development of their personalities even at that age, and it is not fair to condemn anyone for their personality by pinning in on any one factor.  We should be using the clues of children's personalities at a young age to anticipate their needs and current situation, and help shape them into the best model of themselves rather than giving on them based on difficult behaviour at a young age.