Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Plastic packaging ban 'could harm environment'
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51040155

Consumer pressure to end plastic packaging in shops could actually be harming the environment, a report says.
Firms are swapping to other packaging materials which are potentially even worse for the environment, the cross-party Parliamentary group warns.
Glass bottles, for instance, are much heavier than plastic so are far more polluting to transport.
Paper bags tend to have higher carbon emissions than plastic bags – and are more difficult to re-use.
The change in packaging materials has been prompted by concern from shoppers about the impact of plastic waste in the oceans.
But the report’s authors say the consequences of using new materials has not been properly assessed.

One firm is quoted as saying: “Consumers are hugely confused about what bio-based, compostable and biodegradable mean.
“We are aware that [by switching from plastic to other materials] we may, in some cases, be increasing our carbon footprint.”
Another said: "If I could have a magic wand, I’d like to see more joined up, top-down government intervention… We would like to see government be braver."

This is really where the confusion comes in. It is almost like the more efforts we make to try to stop our destruction of the world, the more walls we come in contact with. When we think of changing to other materials other than plastic in the hopes of recycling, it should be noted that many countries do not have the facilities to recycle as many materials as they produce and so the substances are still burnt and destroyed therefore not offering a solution to the problems at hand. I believe if the government would put in more effort and take more actions e.g by maybe banning some harmful products, then there may be seen improvements.
I agree. The government definitely has the power to incite positive change, yet many countries do not make choices that will help the environment. Governments and firms need to find some sort of material that will be better for the environment, easier said then done, but I believe given some time and effort, this problem can quickly be eradicated.
(01-10-2020, 06:14 AM)Justin Robertson Wrote: I agree. The government definitely has the power to incite positive change, yet many countries do not make choices that will help the environment. Governments and firms need to find some sort of material that will be better for the environment, easier said then done, but I believe given some time and effort, this problem can quickly be eradicated.
But even if the government do that some companies will still think that the harmful packaging is the best packaging for thier products.
I agree that finding the solution to overcoming plastic waste is difficult and paper bags are definitely not a permanent solution. Its most important that we are using high quality reusable bags that will stay out of the trash for years and are made out of sustainable materials. Its also important that technology for sterilizing and reusing glass bottles is developed to cut down on their impact on the environment.